Make a Mountain of Memories in Colorado with Vail's Top Hikes
Colorado is blessed with an inspiring and versatile landscape that burgeons with countless activities and experiences for everyone to enjoy. Nothing soothes the soul like a beautiful mountain hike in Vail.
Hiking is great way for families, friends and groups to get out together and take in the fresh air. The awe-inspiring surroundings of Vail, Colorado create the perfect setting to reduce stress, inspire creativity and rejuvenate the senses as you artistically make a footprint across the Rocky Mountains. Nothing compares to a Vail mountain hike in the summer, where dozens of hiking trails can be found. Hiking is healthy, it’s FREE, and just about everyone can enjoy it. All you need is a good pair of hiking boots, a backpack and you are all set. So get out and rediscover nature this summer as a guest of Vail Cascade, a Colorado family resort…...you may just find you’ve rediscovered yourself!
Here’s a list of the best trails in Vail for your hiking pleasure...
- Eagle’s Loop: Short ridge-top loop with great views of Mount of the Holy Cross. 1 mile (1.6 km) 15-20 minutes. Level: Easy
- Lower Fireweed: Beautiful wooded trail between Adventure Ridge and Mid-Vail. 1 mile (1.6 km) 30-40 minutes. Level: Easy
- Berrypicker: Starting at Lower Fireweed, this intermediate trail winds down from Mid-Vail or Adventure Ridge to Vail Village or Lionshead. Picnic at Minnie’s Deck along the way. 4.6 miles (7.4 km) 2-3 hours one way. Level: Intermediate
- Grand Escape: This trail offers an alternative hiking experience with spectacular views and makes a great loop with Ridge Route. 1.5 miles (2.4 km) 1.5-2 hours one way. Level: Intermediate
- Kinnickkinnick: A wooded trail connecting Ridge Route at Wildwood and heads to Mid-Vail. 2 miles (3.2 km) 2 hours. Combine with Ridge Route: 3.4 miles (5.5 km) 3.5-4 hours one way. Level: Intermediate
- Ptarmigan Loop: Scenic trail through shaded woods connecting with Ridge Route at Wildwood to Ptarmigan Point and back. 1.2 miles (1.9 km) 30-40 minutes. Loop with Ridge Route: 4 miles (4.2 km), 2.5-3 hours. Level: Intermediate
- Ridge Route: Intermediate ridge climb from Adventure Ridge to Wildwood and back with spectacular views. 1.4 miles (2.3 km) 1.5-2 hours one way. Level: Intermediate
- Sunlight: Beautiful trail connecting Ridge Route and Kinnickinnick at Wildwood, finishing at Patrol Headquarters. 1.5 miles (2.4 km) 1 hour. Length with connecting trails varies: 3.5-4.5 miles (5.6-7.2 km) 2.5-3 hours one way. Level: Expert Bad
- Simba: Steep single track trail with switchbacks winding through trees and meadows, eventually meeting up with Berry Picker. 75 miles (1.2 km), 1-1.5 hours one way. Level: Expert
After a good hike in Vail, treat yourself to a massage or body treatment. Aria Spa & Club at Vail Cascade Resort brings mind, body and spirit into balance with pampering treatments guaranteed to help you relax or rejuvenate. Or savor the experience as you toast to great memories with a craft beer at Atwater on Gore Creek. However you define the perfect ending to the perfect day, Vail Cascade has you covered.
So go ahead, indulge and find a new altitude with a great hike in Colorado - you deserve it!
Photo credit: Hiking in Vail