- 8 medium green asparagus
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups short grain sushi rice (Tamanishiki rice if you can get it)
- 3 tablespoon adras curry powder
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into match sticks)
- ¼ cup bonito flake
- 1 pack Sushi Nori
- 1 cup natural pickled ginger root
- ¾ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 3*3 inch piece of dried Kelp
- 1 Tbl salt for sushi rice dressing
- ¾ cup peeled and roasted marcona almonds
- ¼ cup wasabi paste (real wasabi if you can get it)
- 2 cups Tempura batter mix
- 1 IPA Beer, bitter is better!
Sushi Rice - use a rice cooker if you can. A medium grain rice will take a little more water than a short grain rice typically. Ratio for rice to water can vary to some degree. I like to recommend about 15% to 20 % more water then rice. Think of your rice like you do when baking bread, it is an art.
Rinse the rice until it is no longer milky. Place in rice cooker, cover with just over 4.6 cups water, 2 Tbl curry powder cook. It will take about 25 minutes from start to finish. Don't assume the rice is ready just because the cooker tells you so. Always check the rice before taking it out of the cooker. I like to let it set in the cooker for about five minutes after the cycle is done. Flip the rice over and out of the cooker. If the rice on the bottom has browned at all, scrape it off. Spread out the rice in a hangiri or wide bottom flat container. Fan it while moving it around breaking up the clumps. After a minute or two pour the dressing (see below) over the rice and stir well, continuing to break up all the clumps. When the rice has reached about room temperature, bring it back together and cover with a moist cloth. Set aside until ready to roll.
- For the rice dressing-pour off some of the juice from the pickled ginger into a cup, try to get a ¼ cup. Top off with rice wine vinegar to yield 2 cup total. In a sauce pot pour the vinegar in and add the sugar. Bring to a boil, turn off heat, add the kelp, stir and let cool.
- Asparagus- dip in tempura and flash fry at 350 degrees for about 25 seconds or until golden brown and crisp.
- Mayonnaise- mix in 1 Tbl curry powder and set aside
- Marcona almond butter- put almonds in a food processor and blend until smooth adding a few drops of the ginger juice form the your pickled ginger. Put into a piping bag for easy assembly.
- Tempura IPA beer batter- Wisk two cups of batter with one beer. Use a splash of soda water if the batter is a little too thick.